Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 May 2005 12:01:20 -0400
From:         Ed <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: adding an oven to a Westy

I just took a look at my toaster oven. It draws 1350 watts. At 12 volts that would be 112.5 amps. You could conceivably try using a huge power inverter, but that is already more power than the Vanagon alternator puts out. Even if you had a 100 amp-hour auxiliary battery, it alone would be completely dead in less than an hour, and that is not taking into consideration the inefficiencies of the inverter. Using propane is much more efficient, whether it be from a dedicated oven, or a Coleman one that you put on top of a stove.

I have used the Coleman one on a stovetop. It takes some practive and you have to keep an eye on it to keep the temperature where you want it, but it works pretty well.

Ed