Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 May 2005 09:48:58 -0700
From:         jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>
Subject:      Re: auto. trans. towing - Rambling questions
Comments: To: AAG - Larry Word <word_aag@COMCAST.NET>

At 04:47 AM 5/11/2005, you wrote: > -If I purchase auto. trans. which is the (1) life expectancy of such > units (mileage) and (2) what are common rebuilding cost for auto. trans. > on the 86-91 vanagon.

From what I've heard, those 3-speed auto units are absolutely bulletproof and with minimal maintenance (barring abuse) will probably outlast the vehicle. Checking the archives, you find very few auto tranny complaints, and even fewer queries about rebuilders. That's gotta mean something. I just got a rebuilt myself and, including shipping, paid $520 plus $200 core charge.

If you're going to have them ship it anyway, you might want to look into German Transaxle Inc <www.gtainc.biz> in Oregon. Kind of exactly NOT in the SE USA, but I was unable to find any other rebuilders ANYWHERE that were recommended by anyone as many times and for as long as GTI. They're the only rebuilder referenced in the archives that I could still get ahold of, and apparently they've been in business since 1971.

> -Any "$ issues" on the 86-91 Vanagons that I've not had to deal > with on the older 83-85 Vanagons?

None I know of, except maybe the idle stabilizer on the 2.1 failing. Seems to happen more often than whatever it is the 1.9 uses. Seems to me the 1.9 and the 2.1 are BOTH expensive. I'm no expert though. I've only had just the one 2.1 I have now.

>Last ?, what happens to a auto. trans. Vanagon if towed incorrectly with >the rear wheels on the ground (say of a tow dolly) for 200 miles (this >occured on a recent E-bay auto. trans. Vanagon auction and curious minds >want to know......).

According to VW, if the auto tranny gets spun for more than 30 miles or over 30mph without the engine running to pump ATF through the system (as happens when towing nose-up, rear-down), the lack of lubrication will smoke the transmission. Those are probably conservative engineer numbers, but it seems to me that 200 miles is likely to be way too far. If the transmission still works, I'd be surprised if it worked for very long.

John Bange '90 Vanagon "Geldsauger"