Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 2005 22:34:48 -0500
From:         Robert Cardo <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC Service Prior to Pressure
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

You didn't mention you had a VW Vanagon AC service manual in front of you Robert. Which I think you may need, prior to advising recharging port locations.

The generic manual will causally describe the usual location of the high and low side charging ports. Which in most non-import vehicles this is correct, as you described.

However.

In a late model Vanagon the suction port is on the back side of the compressor, the high side is behind the L/H rear plastic panel right along side the high and low pressure shut off switches, and the AC relay's.

Please don't read and post info verbatim out of a book. It lacks practical experience, and your going to hurt somebody ( or their Van ) with your lack of hands on time.

And I am not trying to belittle you. A generic one size does all AC manual has no clue what or how a Vanagon AC system is set up.

The theory is correct.

The port's location is wrong in this application .

And allow me to tell you this.

Hooking up a 1 lbs. can of freon to the high side of any AC system with pressure on it, and opening up the valve of the manifold--will cause a big bang.

Don't do it.

RC

<<I don't see how I got anything backwards, never mind saying anything that "could lead to a guy blowing his hands off, with shrapnel when charging the AC system." Cya, Robert>>