Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 2005 23:31:14 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Service Prior to Pressure

Hi Robert,

I don't want to waste much more of everybody's time on this; basically at this point I think you must've misread or read something into my posts to this thread that isn't there, specifically, some mention on my part of where the service ports are on the Vanagon A/C system.

The thread has 18 posts in it now not including this one; you can start from the beginning in the archives here, if you care to:

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0505b&L=vanagon&D=0&P=28118

If you will read the thread carefully you will note that at no time did I ever refer to the service ports or their locations. In fact, not to put too fine a point on it, nobody mentioned them at all until you did- in your post after telling me that I had things backwards and I was going to get somebody's hands blown off. The only advice on recharging port locations, as you put it, in this thread is yours.

You then wrote:

"Please don't read and post info verbatim out of a book. It lacks practical experience, and your going to hurt somebody ( or their Van ) with your lack of hands on time."

First of all, that was a brief overall description (without specifics) of the type of system these vans use, from a training manual- a textbook for A/C technicians. If that kind of information is to be considered dangerous and therefore forbidden, we might as well just vacate this list and forget the whole thing. You might note that there was nothing about the service ports in those passages.

As for the rest of it, the whole point of my original post was to point out to folks that might not know that the diagram in the Bentley on 87.2 in some editions was mislabeled as to the high and low pressure lines- so hopefully somebody wouldn't hurt themselves. My follow-up post was to point out that some people may have the corrected later edition(s) and that if they weren't sure they should confirm the accuracy of their diagram by comparing it the design. I'm willing to go with the idea that most of the people that read these posts are either going to have the wherewithal to understand these things or they'll have the sense to realize they don't and go pay a professional. Again, if that isn't the case, we might as well shut down the list before we all wind up in Tort Court over brake upgrades, engine transplants and upholstery cleaning techniques.

You also wrote:

"The theory is correct." That's what I said.

And:

"The port's location is wrong in this application ." Actually, it isn't- seeing as you're the only one that addressed that subject and you pretty much nailed it. I will indulge myself in a little nit-picking here, however; you've twice said that "In a late model Vanagon the suction port is on the back side of the compressor", or, "the low pressure port is on the back of the compressor". In the interest of accuracy, and for the sake of anyone who is reading this thread that just hasn't seen the layout for themselves, I will say that the port isn't attached to the back side of the compressor itself, but it is rather in the line several inches from where the line connects to the compressor. I will further qualify that by saying that's how it is on my '87, anyway. Of course, what we're calling the 'back side' of the compressor is, well, the forward end, relative to the van.

And you wrote:

"And allow me to tell you this.

Hooking up a 1 lbs. can of freon to the high side of any AC system with pressure on it, and opening up the valve of the manifold--will cause a big bang.

Don't do it."

That's basically the point I was trying to make all along.

So hopefully someone that's been following this thread is now aware of:

The need to check the diagram in the Bentley to see if your edition is properly labeled or not;

The basic theory and layout of the A/C systems of Vanagons;

The proper locations of the respective service ports;

Some opinions regarding conversion to R-134a and sticking with R-12;

Some basic service techniques that apply to both refrigerants;

Some techniques and specifics regarding R-134a conversions;

And,

Some safety concerns regarding handling and use of canned refrigerant.

Hopefully all of that will be of use to somebody.

'Nuff said.

Cya,

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Cardo" <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 8:34 PM Subject: Re: AC Service Prior to Pressure