Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 May 2005 09:11:14 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: First Valve adjustment: report and questions.
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

If you didn't have any problems before, the valve adjustment did not need to be touched and they definitely should not adjust them to .006 clearance. That completely defeats the purpose of the hydraulic lifters. After that many miles, the tips of the adjuster screws and valves stems were somewhat worn together. You may have felt the flat spot while you were turning them. With this wear pattern no longer matched, you will tear up the valve stems and screws. Get new screws. Not that you can measure or feel it, but the now reduced valve lift will reduce some power. I say get new screws and reset the adjustment to the 1-2 turns that they should be.

Dennis