Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2005 10:10:17 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Engine Compartment Fire - Brake Lights Not Working

Well I never thought this would happen to me but it did. I have been paranoid about fire and had the fuel lines replaced in both westies I have owned as a precaution. Nevertheless, here is what happened:

I was driving down Toronto's Gardiner expressway, which is an elevated freeway with no shoulder. My van suddenly lost power, it sort of felt as though it was running out of gas. Luckily I had been going about 60 mph so I had enough inertia to coast to an area where I could safely pull off.

When I looked in my rear view mirror, I could see something coming up the rear window. I was not sure if it was smoke or steam (I had a coolant pipe break once and it looked similar) but grabbed my 5lb Halon extinguisher as I exited the van.

When I got to the back I could actually see flames licking out of the bottom holes of the bottom of the vehicle. I popped open the licence plate and shot the extinguisher inside, the fire went out immediately. Then I pulled off the rear cushion and opened the engine compartment.

It appears as though the main wired leading to the distributor cap broke off. With the wire loose, and likely sparking, it ignited something flammable in the engine compartment. I'm still not sure what actually started it, as I am sure it needed an accelerate. The only thing that I know burned was the foam from the back of the licence plate.

Beyond that the damage was minimal, I really feel like I got off easy. The wiring between the tail lamps was slightly damaged and the coolant overflow tank was a bit melted. I brought it to Alpine Motors near King and John Streets and they replaced the carp wire and rotors, the coolant tank, and did some taping of the wiring.

Before leaving the shop I checked my signals, running lights, and hazards but NOT my break lights (hard to do yourself, and with all the other stuff working I kind of just assumed they were OK).

The other day some kind motorist told me I had no brake lights at a stoplight. I don't really feel like trekking all the way back to Toronto (I live in London now) to have the shop look at the break lights. I was hoping that you listees may have some insight as to how to start troubleshooting. It isn't the bulbs or the fuses.

Thanks, Chris