Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2005 13:48:05 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon axle nut torque ?

Hmmmmm ... putting 190 lbs 12" (1 foot) from the nut on a horizontal plane would give you 190 foot pounds. Moving out to 2 feet from the nut and applying 190 lbs would yield 380 foot pounds, wouldn't it? Thinking this way allows you to check the formula.

Mike

jbange wrote: >> (1) Formula for re-torque on this axle nut? >> Now tighten you slotted axel nut to 360 ft pounds. >> 360 Divided by your weight = how far away to stand on your cheater. >> Example I weight 190 so I need to stand 18.2 inches from the center (is >> that the center of the nut you're putting torque to....>>>>????). >> >> 360/190 = 1.89.....so I do not understand this formula.... > > > Yeah, I'm with you: I don't know WHAT formula gets 18.2 out of 360 ft-lbs > and 190lbs, unless he was dividing 190 by 360, then adding 1 (?), then > multiplying by 12 inches, which gets 18.36. Seems to me that you'd just > multiply 1.89 feet by 12 to get 22.68 inches. > >> (2) Correct re-torque amount for this axle nut: >> -Haynes says 369 #/ft. for my newer style 10-split pin slotted nut - >> what is concensus on this torque amount? > > > Should be 360ft-lbs. Haynes is almost undoubtedly a typo. No surprise, > that. I've found so many glaring errors, omissions, and outright lies in > Haynes manuals over the years that I don't even buy them anymore. I bought > the Haynes for my Honda Civic years ago and it showed a picture of a > standard strap-type oil filter wrench on the oil filter. The instructions > said "use wrench to remove filter". I weaseled my way under there and went > to put the strap wrench on and found that, once it was on, there was NO > ROOM TO MOVE IT! The drive axle and engine were in the way. Those jerks > took a picture of a strap wrench on that oil filter knowing full well that > it wouldn't work. Between that and the AC section that only covered the R12 > based system when they only had the R12 system in the first two years of > that body design before totally redesigning it for R134a, I swore to never > give them another dime. > > John Bange > '90 Vanagon "Geldsauger" >