Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2005 11:42:50 -0700
From:         rob campbell <rob@QUIMP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mold on Canvas
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

I just went through this...

In my case I went with X-14, a mildew remover available at many grocery stores. It was suggested to use carefully in the archives.

I tested it in an inconspicuous location at the very back of the canvas. It didn't seem to discolor the material, so I went ahead.

The stuff is pretty nasty, even with side door, windows, sunroof, and poptop screen open I didn't want to stay in there too long. I tried to get the bottle pretty close to the canvas, so that I didnt have to spray it through the air very much. I sprayed it on the mildew spots, and all over the bedboard (mattresses removed), and a little on the fuzzy ceiling.

It helped a great deal, I'd say about 65% gone after an hour. I wiped the spots with a wet-with-water sponge to clear away residual x-14, and then repeated the process. After another hour, the mildew was almost totally gone. I repeated the "rinse" and let the poptop dry for about 6 hours. A few weeks later, there are some very mild fades where the worst spots were, but I don't think they would be visible to someone who wasn't looking for them.

I am wanting a new poptop anyway (for the 3 window version), I just did this to put off the inevitable $$$ expendature. Still, I would not be upset with this process if I were wanting to keep my poptop as long as possible. I think the very minor bleaching is far preferable to the spread of mildew.

I've always tried to be very careful about letting my poptop dry out after trips, and was really surprised how quickly my top went from close to perfectly clean to pretty bad mildew in just a couple months. One lesson I have learned is to try to take your matresses inside if you are going to keep the top down in the rain/winter/for a couple months. I suspect it is at least as important to dry out your matresses as it is to dry out the poptop material itself.

Just one 87 Westy GL's experience... I'd like to hear other reports.

I'd also like to hear from aftermarket poptop users... especially those from gowesty (3 window). How does the hemp blend hold up? I assume the plastic tents are great as far as mold resistance goes, but how do they feel/breathe? nasty to roll up against at night?