Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 May 2005 14:26:14 -0700
From:         Jon Brown <jbrown510@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: managing your dogs?

>dog bowls

The best dog bowl solution I've seen (need to implement it myself) is to permanently mount a pair of bowls to a piece of plywood. i.e. two bowls on a 1'x2' piece of ply. This arrangement is extremely difficult to flip over... of course with dogs nothing is impossible.

I'm planning on adding a rail (0.5"x0.5") around the edge of the plywood just in case water/food sloshes out while driving. I've also considered making it out of metal... maybe just weld a pair of stainless steel bowls to a sheet of metal and then bend up the sides to catch the slosh...

My 50 lb dog rides in the passenger seat when available, or he'll ride with his front paws on my center console... yes... on more than one occasion when stopping he's kicked me out of gear... trying to find a solution. I think I might build a pet barrier to keep him in back.

When I tie him up I either hook him to the front tow hook via a 25ft rope with carabineers on each end or I'll clip about a 10ft rope to the pop-top cross bar (top down). I've also used the pop top latch when the top was up. Believe it or not the reason I clip the rope it to the cross bar is that it keeps him from getting tangled in the rope, he used to get dreadfully tangled up in the rope when I'd tether it to anything in the van. The cross bar attachment lets him run around in the van and get to about as far as either tire on the right side.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Thomson" <pthomson@GORGE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:32 PM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] managing your dogs?