Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 May 2005 12:42:17 -0700
From:         Preston Grimes <87westy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: No headlights & high beam indicator on means you need to
              clean the grounds!
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com>

Thanks for the quick, expert replies. I now have headlights!

The problem was, of course, the grounds. My install of the relay upgrade two years ago apparently separated the wrong ground wires (there are a few pairs like that behind the fuse box) so the headlight grounds were still stock, stuck together on one connector, corroded, and a bit burn looking - probably from that night I drove home a couple of hours without low beams and some masking tape applied in stripes across the hi beams to tone them down for oncoming traffic.

My headlight grounds were attached to the ground cluster closest to the front of the van behind the fuse box (reach back further and gently pull aside the mess of wires there to make a space to inspect and clean these connections). Once the ground spades were cleaned up, the two wires separated with new female spade connectors, and reattached, the lights worked perfectly. I thought about the good suggestion to ground the headlights closer to the lights themselves, but I decided to leave that for another time.

Thanks again. I found Kim's detailed discussion of troubleshooting very helpful; Dennis knew all along it was the grounds.

Off to Big Sur (Pfeiffer Burns SP) this Sunday/Monday ... wouldn't have gone without the headlights working....

PG