Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 12:11:21 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Post chrome strip rubber cleaning Q

Well anyway, my question (below) wasn't about removal of the chrome strips, it was about cleaning the rubber so it does not come off on my fingers and anything else that touches it and make them totally black. I could use some advice there.

The chrome strip removal issue is a useful one to discuss, but mine are off and my fingers are jet-black and there are jet-black smudges all around the rubbers now . . . so one thing at a time for me. I reckon I will put new non-chrome rubbers on later this year . . . but for now, what I have found is that rubbing the window surrounds with rags soaked in either Armorall or Clorox Clean-up results in jet-black rags and black streaks down the side of Mellow Yellow. And takes about two rags and 20 minutes per window to get the first 90% of black stuff off. And it's, like, really really really really really really really really really really boring. Is there something designed to clean that powdery black rubber outer layer right off, quick as you like, hey presto?

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 83.5 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") KG6RCR