Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 21:58:54 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Oh, joy, lights!

So. I'm in a wonderful position to review "stock" US DOT headlights (rectangular variety) against Eurospec (H4) rectangular headlights.

My 86' Syncro (the Goldbrick) has...or had until tonight) stock US DOT headlights, with poor grounds, etc. When on, the headlights barely illuminate the road.

My 91 Syncro Westy has good grounds (the US DOT headlights were definitely illuminating the ground, but still left a bit to be desired.) It also now has Eurospec headlights (and relays on the headlights for good measure). The headlights are WONDERFUL. Bright, focused light right where you need it. In the conversion process I also took the time to remove the bulb from the highbeams, slosh some window cleaner in their (followed by some isopropyl alcohol) and my highbeams are nice and shiny now too.

I'm now back to working on the Goldbrick. I removed the headlights (noting that one carrier of galvanized metal has a surprising amount of rust...) Of course the adjusting screws on the Goldbrick aren't in nearly as good as shape as they were on the Westy (and I still had to replace one of the adjusting screws on the Westy that had been broken by a previous owner.) I only managed to break 3 of the adjusting screws on the Goldbrick headlights. Quite litterally the plastic shattered as soon as I touched it.

Fortunately these are still available (and I'll be stocking up on them real soon now). One of these days I'll come back to these remove the headlights, bead clean the metal carrier and then put a decent coat of paint on it, and then put all new adjusting screws on it. Should make it last another 20 years.