Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 21:30:36 -0700
From:         Bernard <vwbus85@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Porta potty go boom
Comments: To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>

It was a sunny day in Yuma. Life was good on the road and I was in good spirits. Man and bus were united in that mystical connection of living in the now on the road. I pulled up to the Yuma Public Library to do my email. I may as well add some chemical to my porta potty which I had emptied recently. This won't take long I thought. I was on my knees in the bus as i reached for chemical and poured it into the porta potty and at the same time pulled open the handle to allow it to fall to the bottom. To my horror like it had a mind of it's own the chemical headed straight up for my eyes in a funnel shaped form. I shut my eyes but did I do so in time? I splashed water over my eyes and looked in mirror. My eyes were red. However my eyes had been red before from a allergy where they more red now? How would I know? Now to read the fine print on the chemical. THIS IS POISON AND CAUSE CAUSE DEATH OR LOSS OF SIGHT! Would I lose my sight! Would I die right here in Yuma in from of the Public Library? I walked over to the Fire Station across the way. I held a wet cloth over my eye. I believe I have a toxic chemical in my eye. They advised phoning poison control. I got to a phone in front of the library and phoned poison control. They wanted the brand of the porta potty chemical. I gave it to them and waited. I can still here the words " You need to dial 911 and get yourself to the hospital. Your eyes have to flushed immediately". I asked for a second option and she said get to a shower immediately and stand with eyes open for 10 minutes. Ok I hung up. I had 2 gallons of drinking water in the van. I intercepted a couple headed for the library. I could have a toxic chemical in my eye and I need you to pour 2 gallons of water over my eyes. They weren't as shocked as they might have been however you could tell this hadn't happened on previous library visits. I grabbed the water from the bus and shoved a towel under my neck and lay down in front of the bus. I fixed my eyes on a passing cloud and gave the go ahead. Slowly he poured the 2 gallons over my eyes. I thanked them very much. What now I thought. Being on the obsessive side i was not done yet. I would not be happy till I stood under a shower for 10 minutes with my eyes open. That's what poison control wanted and that's what they were going to get. I drove to a trailer part and found it did not have showers. However a couple when told of the circumstances offered me the use of their shower in there fifth wheel. Well if you want to see how red your eyes can get stand under a shower, very close to shower head, for ten minutes. It was less than reassuring to look in the mirror after the shower. I thanked them very much and drove to Wal-mart as I was sure not going to drive anymore that night. I didn't sleep much and phoned poison control 3 times that early morning to discuss the state of my health and the chances I would become sight impaired. I knew them all on a first name basis. Since then my fellow bus people have explained to me the forces that can come into play when you change elevation and the effects this can have on your porta potty. Life can be full of surprises.

Bernie

( I now seek out the NON TOXIC chemical} Costs more but worth it.