Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2005 12:03:38 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust system insulation
Comments: To: Mike Jeffrey <oldbus@GMAIL.COM>

I've heard that Ceramic Coating will keep pipes from rusting, increase exhaust gas flow quality, extend the life of the exhaust pipes and keep heat from cooking into everything around it. ---------------------- Coating Exhaust Manifolds

Exhaust manifolds can either be a cast iron, factory-type manifold or a tube steel header typically used in performance applications, though they are becoming very common in OEM applications. There are a variety of reasons for coating an exhaust manifold header. #1 Corrosion protection. The manifold will live longer as well as look nicer. Whether it is for performance or show, coating an exhaust manifold is valuable to you. #2 The coating is a thermal barrier, thus keeping heat within the manifold or header. There are a number of benefits for this. First, by keeping heat within the manifold, you're going to accelerate the exhaust gas velocity which reduces back pressure and reduces fuel contamination due to reversion. This is a performance benefit. Second, you'll reduce the surface temperature of the manifold. This means if a person comes in contact with it, they are less likely to be burned and leave skin behind. If there is a component close to it, it will not see as much heat as it would with an uncoated manifold. In addition, not as much heat will be radiated under the hood or into the engine compartment. This reduces the underhood temperature which, again, reduces the temperature of surrounding parts, such as, alternators and starters. It also reduces the amount of heat that can be drawn in through the carburetor, which is a secondary performance benefit. There are a variety of coatings that can be used on exhaust manifolds or headers.

I can't seem to remember where I read that.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Jeffrey" <oldbus@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 11:09 AM Subject: Re: Exhaust system insulation

If Vanagon exhausts behave anything like motorcycle exhausts, be aware that wrapping may accelerate rust on your pipes. Not sure why, I'm pretty non-technical, perhaps something to do with condensation settling between the wrap and the pipe? Can anyone elaborate on / disprove this statement? Any preparation necessary prior to wrapping?

Cheers, Mike.

On 5/20/05, dylan friedman <insyncro@yahoo.com> wrote: > There is a clear hi-temp spray available to apply to > the wrap once applied. Don't bother painting it, I've > seen it done and the outcome is not pretty. Check > Summit, they should have the spray. > > --- Jim King <terrapincampers@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote: > > I'm still not sure that I would wrap the pipes on > > a stock engine/exhaust just to try to keep the > > engine compartment cooler, although it absolutely > > makes sense if you have modifications that need to > > be protected. > > The reason I elected to install the wrap was that > > a buddy had made me up a complete custom header for > > my 85 Westy for just the cost of the pipes( In 1990 > > a complete system from VW cost around $2k) The new > > exhaust system ended up sounding "tinny" and the > > collector was located in a spot I was certain would > > cook hoses & wiring. In retrospect it was probably > > over-kill... but that's how I usually approach > > everything unfortunately. > > If you do end up insulating the pipes, I wonder if > > you can paint the wrap BBQ black to keep it from > > looking bandaged. ( Here I go again! ) > > > > Jim "over-kill" King > > 86 Syncro Westy (Terapn) > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: Tom Miller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM> > > Date: Friday, May 20, 2005 8:24 am > > Subject: Re: Exhaust system insulation > > > > > John: > > > > > > I did that to my ceramic coated S&S header pipes > > with good > > > results. No more > > > burns from accidentally touching hot exhaust pipes > > while trying to > > > findthose elusive coolant drip sources! It does > > make a big > > > difference in the > > > amount of heat in the engine compartment area, and > > camper spaces > > > are cooler > > > too. > > > TEMiller > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> > > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > > Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 9:43 AM > > > Subject: Exhaust system insulation > > > > > > > > > > I've given some thought to putting an insulating > > wrap on the exhaust > > > > system of my van to help alleviate some of the > > heat that soaks the > > > > engine area and to help dampen noise. > > > > > > > > I know there is a trade off when this is done. > > Heat held in the > > > exhaust> will burn out the pipes sooner. But that > > heat escaping > > > through the pipes > > > > cooks everything back there, especially in the > > summer time, and it > > > > seeps into the vehicle interior as well, when > > the engine shuts down. > > > > > > > > Has anyone had any experience - positive or > > negative - with > > > applying and > > > > insulating wrap to the pips?? > > > > > > > > Regards, > > > > > > > > John Rodgers > > > > 88 GL Driver > > > > > > > > > > > Dylan Friedman > > insyncro.com (in the works) > insyncro@yahoo.com > insyncro@hotmail.com > > 91 Syncro Westy GL > 91 Syncro L > 90 Carat (for sale) > 89 Wolfsburg GL > > 87 Syncro GL X 2 > 86 Syncro GL > > > > Yahoo! Mail > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: > http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html >

-- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.10 - Release Date: 5/13/2005