Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 May 2005 13:30:13 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 16 May 2005 (#2005-397)

Rocket J,

If you have the reefer out, I would suggest two things: first, there is a product that roofers carry called Ice-Guard that works really well as a sound deadener---that is, its a material that will deaden sound on large expanses of sheet metal (like a Vanagon) and quiet down the interior considerably if you use it throughout the van. Ice-Guard is about 1/16" thick, comes on a roll and is foil on one side and super sticky on the other, usually with a release film. Its very similar to the high-priced sound mat material like Dynamat and Be-Quiet that car stereo places install except that it costs about 1/8 as much. Just clean the inner wall surface with a spray on auto body type of pre paint cleaner to get any dirt and grease film off and stick the stuff to the inside of the wall. I use a small 2" roller (art store) to flatten it out and get into various body contours. I mention Ice-Guard first because you have the wall exposed and putting some sound deadener in there before you put any other insulation in there is a good idea. The second thing I would do is go to Home Depot and get the aforementioned silver bubble plastic stuff in a roll. It looks like bubble wrap with silver on two sides. It comes in 2 ft and 4 ft rolls. I use the 4 ft rolls. Its easy to cut and I've used 3M high strength spray adhesive to stick it to the foil side of the Ice Guard. Between the Ice Guard and the bubble stuff, you will have sound deadening and thermal and radiant insulation. I'm in the process of doing my whole interior this way. BTW, the bubble stuff makes excellent removable window thermal/radiant barriers. You can cut the stuff to the shape of your window and use some suction cups to attach them to the windows. They block light really well if you like to sleep late, too. Suction cups here: http://www.suctioncupsinc.com/html/pgclear.htm . I used the SC150TT version---its called the "thumb tack" suction cup--you can poke a small hole through the bubble stuff and glue the 'tack' into the suction cup. Put the cups near the corners of the window inserts so you can reach behind the insert easily to release the cups and remove the insert. I stash my window inserts in the upper bunk when underway. Also useful for signaling rescue aircraft and annoying fellow camper by demonstrating its reflective qualities. ; )

Jeff / 87 Syncro Westy