Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 May 2005 13:47:16 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: question before I remove the fridge

In looking through the 1000's of informative emails I have accumulated over 9 years on the Vanagon list, I came across the follwing suggestion. While it didn't directly have the non-flickering light symptons I had, it did address a non-lighting fridge. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I gave it a try. For whatever reason, the non flickering light started flickering, I held down the "flame failure safety device" and the fridge light (blue LED) came on and I had lift off. Durn if I know the mechanics of why it caused the light to start flickering, but it did. So, when you have trouble lighting your fridge, here is another magical solution to try..

Harold

*Date:* Sat, 16 May 1998 13:07:13 -0400 *Reply-To:* thetrans <thetrans@INAME.COM> *Sender:* Vanagon Mailing List < Vanagon@vanagon.com> *From:* thetrans <thetrans@INAME.COM> <http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9805C&L=vanagon&D=0&P=17700> *Subject:* Re: Strange Propane Fridge Lighting Method <http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9805C&L=vanagon&D=0&P=18688> *Comments:* To: Dane Tessler <dane714@WORLDNET.ATT.NET >, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM *In-Reply-To:* <01bd80da$f5cb2900$LocalHost@default>

*Content-Type:* text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Well thats a new (and logical!) method!! Maybe I'll give that a try sometime.

To add to the wacky ideas list, here's what I do:

I have one of those electric powered air pump things, the kind you plug into your cigarette lighter. It came with a few attachments (like a needle

for pumping up basketballs, etc.) one of which was a plastic cone like attachment for pumping up rubber inflatables (rafts, toy balls, anatomically corrrect dolls, you know.....).

I take the cone attachment, unscrew the air (oh damn I forgot the right

name for this thing) tube at the bottom of the fridge (it has the metal screw cap), and blast air in there. I read once that lack of oxygen was a primary cause for the propane not lighting). Well without pumping I get an

instant light. Works for me! Plus, I'm still self sufficient since I can run this off the vehicle battery (only takes a few secs).

File this one for the next time you've pumped that bellows thing one time

to many (I mean the one on the van.. get your mind out of the gutter!!).

Bill

On 5/18/05, Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > For the 9 years I have owned my van, I have been able to light the fridge > with minimal difficulty. I am now having a problem and need some advice. > > Before, when lighting the fridge, I would follow the directions and when I > pushed the button for gas mode, the light would flicker, I would hold down > the "flame failure safety device" and pump like crazy until the light quit > flashing and I would have an operating fridge. Now, when I push the button > for gas mode, the light comes on but does not flicker. Thus, it acts as if > the fridge is lite when in fact it is not. Any idea what might be wrong or > what is happening. > > The fridge works on AC, I had it on all day yesterday and it cooled fine. > I have propane because both the stove and the Propex heater work. > > Thanks for any advice. > > Harold > -- > Harold Teer > Harrisonburg, VA > 1991 Westy

-- Harold Teer Harrisonburg, VA 1991 Westy