Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 May 2005 20:17:42 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Differences between auto & manual starters?
Comments: To: ccc1@VOLNY.CZ

The standard shift starter uses a shaft end bushing in the bell housing. The starter cannot be properly tested unless you support the drive end of the starter. The automatic starter uses a standard bendix that spins out and the starter has a bearing in the motor end-plate between the starter drive and the motor part. It can be tested stand alone as the shaft is fully supported. In short .......... they don't interchange. The armature are built on completely different shafts. The solenoids are also different with various connections from one, two or three push on positions for fuel pump and ignition purposes.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cary Chiang" <ccc1@VOLNY.CZ> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:44 PM Subject: Differences between auto & manual starters?