Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 May 2005 21:20:32 EDT
From:         Rob Infante <RobInfante@AOL.COM>
Subject:      removing sliding side windows -was removing tint

Time for another silly question. I have all the windows removed, and nearly all the tint scraped off. It was exactly like everyone told me, smelly, tedious, not hard, use lots of spray. However, what I can't figure out how to do is to remove the sliding windows. Clearly it is not a big deal, since they were taken out to be tinted in the first place, but I'm not quite getting it. Bentley says to slide the weatherstripping out of the track and then lift the window up and out, which would definitely work. However, what it doesn't ever say is how to put the window back in. I can glue the weatherstrip back in, but then I can't put the window in because there isn't clearance. I could always brute-force it and spread the aluminum frame enough for clearance, but that sure doesn't seem the way to go. So, I am again looking for advice.

I also noticed while detinting that my rear window has the defroster buggered up. I'll probably just get a new one, they are available for about $225 (in for a dime, in for a dollar...) If anyone on the list wants a perfectly good one minus the defrost let me know. Which reminds me, I also have a set of brown floor mats, including the center piece, that I no longer need. They have some wear to them, but the price is right: free (just pick up the shipping cost is all.)

Speaking of wear, I got a bottle of gowesty's fiberglass/rubber restorer/protector. Holy cow! I sprayed up 1/2 of a bunch of matching parts, and the difference is really dramatic. No nasty stench either, in fact almost no odor at all.

thanks again rob infante 87 syncro westy