Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2005 15:01:05 -0400
From:         Jim King <terrapincampers@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      T/A tales... Re: Buying a new manual transmission - considering
              Go Westy final drive increase
Comments: cc: icebox500@GMAIL.COM

Just thought I'd share my tale of Vanagon T/A woe.

Getting off the highway exit after a 180mi trip, my 86 Syncro Westy's T/A went into "neutral limbo". I was able to wangle it into 2nd gear and get to my final destination, just figuring that the linkage was hosed up. After checking, cleaning and greasing up the linkage, I then could get into REV, Low 1st, 1st, 2nd & 4th. 3rd would hang things up again, so I just avoided it. Since ignorance is bliss, I headed the 180 miles home, only to loose every gear but 2nd along the way... but I made it home! As I pulled the van onto my ramps to get a better look at the linkage again, all positions became permanent neutral. With a little research I found this link to "Vanagon sudden death syndrome"

http://www.gowesty.com/3-4syncrohub.html

After a numerous phone calls and emails trying to line up a re-builder, a friend at VW offered to sell me a remanufactured Syncro T/A (w/locking diff) & 1year warranty for just under $2000 ($2300 list) with mine returned as core. Since I had just basically driven my T/A into the ground and could get no concrete price in a rebuild, I took him up on the new S.African unit... which turned out to be brand spanking new. I was told that VWofA was just getting rid of stock. Good for me now, bad for everyone in the future. If you have a friend at VW who can possibly give you a discount, ask if they have any of your model's T/As. You might get lucky too.

My vanagon is finally all better, and I hope yours will also be, real soon.

Jim 86 Syncro Westy (Terapn)

----- Original Message ----- From: "james@icebox500.com" <icebox500@GMAIL.COM> Date: Friday, May 20, 2005 1:26 pm Subject: Re: Buying a new manual transmission - considering Go Westy final drive increase