Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 May 2005 22:57:42 -0500
From:         chris <chris@MCCLURKEN.COM>
Subject:      Re: What octane fuel?

Boy howdy to ya, To my knowledge (I'm ignorant on this really) the fuel hasn't changed octane wise, additives are a different story. But anecdotally I've ran 87 without a problem in my 1.9l '85. I try to run 93 octane when possible but these days you'd have to sell a kidney to afford it! Octane ratings in Europe may have been different, and they certainly had different choices (ever seen 91 oktane in the USA?). While I never had a problem with 87 in the van, my 16v Jetta could really tell what I gave it, but that was a sensitive engine to say the least.

My point finally... octane ratings matter but I never had a problem on my 1.9l, but YMMV... so why not run it and see.... you won't do any damage with a tank of the cheap stuff.

There's my 2 cents... and yeah I'm still alive first post probably all year yeehaw! :-)

Chris in Nashville, TN 85 GL (still needs a tranny!)

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 20:13 -0700, Dan Krautkremer wrote: > Howdy again, > > What octane fuel should I use? The label calls > for 91 octane. That was back in 86'. The fuel has > improved, right. Will I cause any damage by running 87 > octane? Thanx again... > > Danno > Delaware Water Gap, PA > 89' Jetta (daily driver) > 86' Vanagon (family hauler) > 79' Rocco (availabel) > > > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard. > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail >