Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 May 2005 19:23:46 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Moving with a Vanagon, cross-country
Comments: To: detroit.bus@GMAIL.COM

> However, if I get a small trailer, or rent a U-Haul trailer, I might > be able to make it in one trip, which would save a lot of > cross-country mileage (5000 miles, in fact). But I know that Vanagons > aren't exactly happy doing their own towing and I don't want to damage > my vehicle.

I'd say you'd be better off towing a small trailer. Drive slowly. You'd still save time compared to the 2 trip scenario ...

I moved cross *and* country from Baltimore, MD to Edmonton, AB a few years ago with bikes, kayaks and other gear.

Don't miss seeing the rockies on the way...

> My Vanagon does not currently have a trailer hitch. Any models I

The commonly sold type attached to the exisiting "tow loops" under the bumper. Good enough for a light trailer. You could probanbly pick one up for well under $100 if you look around.

I use a stronger 2" receiver hitch bought from Dennis Haynes. Main reason is so that I can mount various other 2" accessories.

> Where could I get a good roof rack, for bicycles and light flat stuff? I use a bike rack in the rear or more recently front. Much easier to load.

Any roof rack old enough to use drip rail mounts should work. You can probably find these in garage sales etc. Use good judgement in guessing their rigidity and weight capacity.

Regards, Martin