Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 08:54:37 -0600
From:         Aaron Pearson <Aaron.Pearson@GXT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help me order rubber and window bits

gowesty claims that removing the "chrome" trim does not affect water-sealing (they even say "contrary to popular belief" in their write-up). has anyone atually had the opposite experience on their own van? i've already yanked the molding out of one of the windows. i'm saving the others for a rainy day.

http://www.gowesty.com/ChromeMoldingStory.html

aaron '87 syncro gl

-----Original Message----- From: The Bus Depot [mailto:vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM] Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 8:24 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Help me order rubber and window bits

> Thanks, Bob - you're not the only one that has suggested I let Ron at > BD sort this out. It must be good advice!

A few words of advice here.

First of all, be sure to avail yourself of the Information pages that can be accessed by clicking on the 'i" icons throughout BusDepot.com. For example, the following page shows a diagram of the rubber for your Vanagon, along with part numbers and prices:

https://pointer.webappcabaret.net/busdepot/details/vanagonrubber.jsp

(Note, we will be changing this URL to a busdepot domain URL within a few weeks as part of our server upgrade, so if you bookmark it it will be a dead link then. But you can always get there by choosing your Vanagon year, and then clicking the green "i" icon next to the Body Rubber category.)

Other diagrams are found throughout the site by clicking on those "i" icons, such as exhaust, sheet metal, and coolant hose diagrams. I think that many people overlook these useful sources of information.

Secondly, should you have further questions, I generally recommend emailing rather than calling if time allows, as the luxury of time will allow the rep to spend more time sorting through and accurately answering your questions. We generally reply to email same or next working day. I'd suggest mentioning that you already looked at the diagram page noted above but still have questions (assuming that you do), just so the rep does not merely direct you to the diagram. :-)

As for the yellowed plastic strips, while it is possible to buy new rubber that will accommodate these strips (and new strips to match), I recommend against it. The "plain" rubber that does not take the strips is much cheaper, plus you won't have to buy new strips (which themselves will start to yellow within a few years and look like crap again). The reason for the price difference is that most of the world other than the U.S. (as well as most U.S. models after 1987) did not get the plastic trim strips. This leaves the rubber that accepts the strips as somewhat of a "niche" item almost exclusively for the U.S. market ... hence the higher price.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT