Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 09:00:53 -0700
From:         vanagon teepee <vanagonteepee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning flocked ceiling?

I used Turtle Wax "Power Out" Upholstery Cleaner with Odor-X (foam in aerosol can) , and it worked great.

I popped the camper top and layed a lot of towels down over the cushions. I opened the roof vent, front flap, and had all the fans going too. Also wore glasses to keep the stuff from dripping into my eyes (as I lay on my back and scrubbed).

After a quick vacuuming, I used a scrub brush to work in the "Power Out", which helped it go deeper and I think also left the flocking with a more "fluffed up" texture at the end.

After the stuff dried, I vacuumed off the remaining residue. I think this also helped with the flocking appearance/texture.

I just left the pop top open for a couple of days to let it all dry completely and air out. I turned on the heat when I got impatient a couple of times, and it helped to speed things up. Sprayed it at the end with Lysol (anti-mildew) just for good measure.

I also think just using some light soapy water (upholstery shampoo) with a little bleach would work just fine. Just brush it in, rinse, and let dry.

It took about 2-3 years for the mildew to reappear again after my scrubbing.

I'm surprised to hear that the Tilex worked well. That would have seemed too harsh to me.

On 5/16/05, Jim Henry <jhenry@jchgis.com> wrote: > I nearly killed myself cleaning mildew and such of the flocking, used > bathroom mildew cleaner, Tilex. It worked great, but recommend large > quantities of forced air ventilation, (multiple fans). Did not hurt flocking > at all.