Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 15:13:59 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: propane filling question
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

On 5/16/05 4:33 AM, "Frank Condelli" <RAlanen@AOL.COM> wrote:

> Over the years, I have seen proper propane level gauges on Westys imported > from Europe that were built to European specs. These gauges were in the > tank, > they are mechanical level gauges the same as we have in our fuel tank, the > tanks are not the same as our Manchester tanks and the tanks were also inside > a metal box with a locking door for access. More trick stuff we were not > permitted to have in North America !

Depends on tank style. You are describing the later style RV tank used in many RV. It is made to a slightly stricter code than the standard BBQ tank that it looks like. The newer tanks of any type MUST use at least two methods to verify fill. Europe and the NA market are almost identical on the rules for the tanks. They just have heavy disagreement on what tanks are legal and where they can be mounted. Also in some european countries the underside westy tanks were and may still be illegal.

1. weight 2. visual port (the overflow hole) 3. OPD or other overflow detector 4. fixed level gauge

Note that the tank weight (fill) must use at least two of the list items to verify that it is not overfilled. As you cannot weigh a fixed mount (ASME, westy, fixed RV) tank that leaves the other three.

For your BBQ tank and other tanks of the portable class of less than 50 lbs (refillable) it is recommended that all of the first three be used. (and number three is mandatory in the NA market) for fixed position tanks at businesses and homes the rule is also two points of verification. Here in aurora colorado the local propane suppliers tell me that code made many people that didnšt have gauged tanks to retrofit. Many of these rules were not put in regulatory positions until late 80s and into the early 90 with the final phase in of the OPD sections being the last.

jimt