Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 15:22:54 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: propane filling question

On 5/16/05 11:53 AM, "Doug in Calif" <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET> wrote:

> You can fill the tank from another tank if you have the proper fittings, you > can even empty in the small 16oz Coleman bottles into your westy tank. > > Couple things that obviously help are if the receiving tank is COLDER than > the filling tank. Propane pressure increases dramatically by temp. Set the > small bottles in the sun. > > When filling invert the bottle you are trying to empty out so the liquid > goes out first. OPEN the vent on the westy tank to LOWER the pressure > inside. This will allow the liquid to flow through the hose INTO the westy > tank. > > Since we cant really determine the level of our westy tanks a simple back up > from a Coleman bottle with hose seems to certainly be in order. > > In addition it sure would be worth it to be able to dump in 3-4 Coleman cans > somehow while on an extended camping trip. no? >

Your local propane supplier shop should be able to help out. I have had numerous custom hoses made for my uses. I know of one that built a hose for a customer that was so that he could dump a 10 pound propane tank into his propane powered vehicle. That made it so that he had a 2 gallon spare gas (fuel) can. Or could pull into the nearest BBQ tank exchange place. I am going to pick up a hose this week to feed from my 30 lb to my 5 lb tank that I carry with me.

jimt