Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 May 2005 18:00:43 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Post chrome strip rubber cleaning Q

Wow, lots of interest in this subject.I stand by my reporting of the junkyard caper. Why risk the windshield popping out and hurting someone, just for a cool black gasket look,or because someone dosent like the old stuff,and lacks the ability to reinstall them?.VW went to the trouble to put them in for a reason.I have seen them on other makes too.Who am I to remove them? Not me , thats all. This is the main reason that I replaced all my strips when I had my westy repainted recently.Took all the windows out myself.Yes, I have tried to do this the other way and I ruined a $20 strip. I had the "tool", but I think it takes a 4 year degree in auto body to know how to use it.Even then, I dont think it will work properly. I installed my windows w/the new locking strips, and still couldnt get the sliding door strip right.I paid $35 for a professional to reinstall the strip . He used the tool, and butchered my strip. Each corner was ,I dont know how to describe it ,ruffff,and the chrome bad.Not the smooth chrome like the rest the strip had.The body shop where I had my van done, said that the tool will not work well. Even a go westy salesperson agreed with me on this, when I bought the strips ,and not the tool that was offered..They sell the tool but install the strip the way that I do.