Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 May 2005 11:07:37 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Question on Biodiesel
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

On 5/17/05 10:25 AM, "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> A question for the diesel and bio diesel experts out there. The first > biodiesel filling station just opened in Seattle, pumping biodiesel > from the sole plant in the area. Price: $1.00 a gallon HIGHER than > gas or regular diesel. What gives? Where is the advantage? And I > though that the biodiesel advocates were all pushing the > McDonalds/Burgerking biodiesel? > BTW, not trying to start an argument here, just trying to understand > what is going on here. I'm already aware of the figures on total BTU > costs of production, etc. > >

Commercial bio is a different animal than the home-brew.

Much more refined and will run without engine mods. Check the pump though to see what type it is. Commercial bio usually comes in B10 or B20. All diesels can run the B10 with no mods. Some may have cold weather probs with the B20 (but not many). Right now the cost factor is mostly the economy of scale and distribution costs. Two refining companies have stated that if the cost of diesel rises another 25 cents per gallon the cost of bio will drop about 10 cents in about a year as demand for the bio goes up. Even without the price changes you will be seeing B5 or B10 as the regular diesel in a few years in order to meet the new pollution standards that are going in. same rules will take the E5 and E10 at the gas pumps and push it to E10 and E15.

From a table on costs I was looking at a few days ago. Prices are for the same unit of volume.

Rape seed oil expensive $690 Soy oil cheaper but still costly $500 Jatropha cheapest - but very limited production $275

While trying to find info on the jatropha I found this site http://www.d1plc.com/ Jimt