Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2005 09:55:24 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: question before I remove the fridge
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com>

Everyone, thanks for all the ideas. After I blew air into the small drain tube, the fridge lite but still didn't seem right or light consistently. I believe the issue was material in the combustion chamber and perhaps on the ignitor since I didn't get the flashing bulb. I really didn't want to yank the fridge right now but I did want to clean out the chamber. Using the basics of an idea that Curt Long posted a long time ago, and a modification to his procedure, I removed as much trash as I could from the chamber without removing the fridge from the van. The fridge now lights so easily that it is scary.

Here is what I did: I took the 3 screws out of the exhaust cap on the outside of the van and removed the cap. I then took a small shop vac and taped the shop vac hose tightly around the small exhaust tube and turned the vac on to suction trash from the tube.. I let it run for awhile and went into the van and removed the cap on the drain tube under the fridge. I could hear and feel air coming into the opening. I took another small shop vac and set it up to blow air and attached it to the little tube and blew air into that opening while the other vac was suctioning from the exhaust tube and let them work for a few minutes. I know this doesn't substitute for a complete disassembly and cleaning, but it certainly gave me a quick and dirty fix until I have time to pull and disassemble the fridge.

Hope this helps someone,

Harold

On 5/18/05, Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com> wrote: > > You may have a bad contact to your igniter, or other similar issues. > You'll need to pull the fridge to work on it. > > The igniter is the device that causes the flashing bulb (and causes > sparks in the combusion chamber). I had a problem similar to your > (light would come on but not flash.) When I pulled the wire to the > igniter and put it back on, everything was happy again.... > > But since you have to pull the fridge to work on it, you might take the > time to clean the combustion chamber too. > > > On May 18, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Harold Teer wrote: > > > For the 9 years I have owned my van, I have been able to light the > > fridge > > with minimal difficulty. I am now having a problem and need some > > advice. > > > > Before, when lighting the fridge, I would follow the directions and > > when I > > pushed the button for gas mode, the light would flicker, I would hold > > down > > the "flame failure safety device" and pump like crazy until the light > > quit > > flashing and I would have an operating fridge. Now, when I push the > > button > > for gas mode, the light comes on but does not flicker. Thus, it acts > > as if > > the fridge is lite when in fact it is not. Any idea what might be > > wrong or > > what is happening. > > > > The fridge works on AC, I had it on all day yesterday and it cooled > > fine. I > > have propane because both the stove and the Propex heater work. > > > > Thanks for any advice. > > > > Harold > > -- > > Harold Teer > > Harrisonburg, VA > > 1991 Westy > >

-- Harold Teer Harrisonburg, VA 1991 Westy