Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2005 11:50:39 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Vanagon parts are now cheap (relatively)

Some recent discussions of costs hit me today when deciding what to do on another issue.

My gas powered weed whacker just quit. Finished troubleshooting and it is the coil. Price of coil 40 bucks US plus shipping. Locally 37 bucks US plus 8 percent tax. Same price.

That coil is 50% of what I paid for that weed whacker new two years ago.

Will buy another weed whacker and recycle the cylinder as another key fob. (my chain saw did the same)

When we talk costs on our vans we need to remember everything is relative. I.E. When I did the subie mod I actually spent half of what I paid for the van. Got the van cheap. When I put tires on it, I went with a higher end tire. Brake job coming up and I will put top grade brakes on it. Same for shocks. However I will put in the cheapest seat covers and paint job available. As for looking for another vehicle to replace my vanagon???? Not much chance. To me the vanagon westy is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. And to me that is the real value.

Oh and put my religion down as "camper reformed"

jimt