Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2005 14:38:36 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Joy Hecht's problem's solved?

Sorry Ed, I haven't been paying enough attention to my emails! And apologies to everyone who sent suggestions that I didn't reply to, I appreciate your advice. Which was universally the same - plug in the 02 sensor. Which I did, and it solved the problem.

That problem, anyway. Unfortunately yesterday I had an old coolant hose leak on the highway in Indiana, and by the time the buzzer alerted me to the van overheating I'd blown my engine. After two separate tows (thank you AAA) and some time spent at a nice repair place in Kalamazoo (Spring Valley Motors, nice guys who only work on old VWs), I'm now at Brien Dews' place in Rockford MI, investigating options for a new engine (which Brien and his very enthusiastic four-year-old have offered to install - thank you, Brien and Keagan). I will be at Buses by the Beach - Brien is planning to tow Matilda there and then back to his shop after. (BTW, that's his clock repair shop, not his car repair shop.)

So I'll have lots of opportunity to get opinions on what I should replace my engine with. We're also looking into whether I might be able to only replace the gaskets, but I'm not optimistic. This was the original engine, had 153K miles on it, and prior to this disaster the compression had dropped in one cylinder to 95, and in another to 115 - though it was running great. If all looks okay except for gaskets, we'll just replace them, but if the heads are shot, I'll probably go with a new engine. I'm leaning towards a Boston Bob, though some other options are possible as well.

So I guess that means one problem solved, a new one come up!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

****************************************************************:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Ed :::Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 5:37 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Joy Hecht's problem's solved? ::: :::Does anyone know if Joy Hecht got her problems solved and got back on the :::road? She was having some problems, and couldn't find where to re-connect :::the oxygen sensor. I tried e-mailing, but no luck so far. I guess if I :::see her at Buses by the Beach, I'll know she made out o.k. ::: :::Ed in CT