Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2005 14:58:37 -0700
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Tom Forhan <fourwdvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Last Call, Syncro De Mayo Este
Comments: cc: Derek Drew <derekdrew@rcn.com>, Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com>

The Washington DC contingent is heading out Friday nite and will meet at Kim Brennan's place.

Directions are at http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0504A&L=vanagon&P=R16593

If you are heading out Saturday, Kim plans a rendevous:

Saturday folks should plan to join up with us at "Cline's Hacking". While there are several ways to get there, my recommended instructions follow:

From Harrisonburg, Virginia take US 33 West to Whitmore Shop Road. Turn RIGHT onto Whitmore Shop Road. Whitmore Shop Road will sort of make a Tee junction. Whitmore Shop Road will continue to the right, and Hopkin's Gap Road will go to the left. Turn LEFT onto Hopkin's Gap Road. After climbing up a bit of a hill (i.e. Hopkin's Gap), Look for Long Run Road on the left. Turn LEFT onto Long Run Road. This is a dirt/gravel road with some rather rough sections. It goes into the George Washington National Forest and will take you up (eventually) to Cline's Hacking. Cline's Hacking is the intersection of Long Run Road with Second Mountain Trail (on the left of a 4 way intersection). Turn LEFT onto Second Mountain Trail (which may not be so labeled, but there will be signs for ATV trails and it should be fairly obvious. A short drive down (hundred yards or so) this will get you to the rendezvous point where Dictum Ridge Trail turns off of Second Mountain Trail.

Depending on weather conditions, Second Mountain trail had some really interesting mud holes, while Dictum Ridge had some truely frightening stair steps. Derek, Steve, Brady and I managed to get down the stair steps, last year, after one of Herakles labors (I think the others did more work than I). We may or may not go down those steps, but at least we'll walk down and show them. :)

Later we'll go down US 33 and onto Switzer Lake Road (I don't believe this is labeled except on maps). and eventually up to Meadow Knob for camping on Saturday night.

See you there!