Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2005 21:57:37 -0700
From:         BA <ande@SAN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon List's Top 10 Camping Sites

In no particular order, since we haven't been van-camping long enough to have ten favorites. We're getting there, though ...

Patagonia Lake State Park, AZ. Lovely area - we were there over Christmas week. Lots of stuff to walk around and see. There's even a small store in the park, which is very convenient.

Gilbert Ray campground, outside Tucson, AZ. It's a nice enough (*shrug*) campground with some lovely views. What make it seriously rock is that it is quite close to the wonderful Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.

Table Mountain campground, Angeles National Forest, near Wrightwood, LA. Well-spaced campsites, with a good view a short distance in any direction from any site. Located a short way off the Angeles Crest Highway, which itself is a visual wonder (and a *hugely* amazing motorcycle ride!!!).

Dos Picos County Park, Ramona (near San Diego), CA. Sites are close, with no visual privacy. But it's in a nice area with some good hiking. And one of the 'kewl'er camp rangers put on a program Friday evening during which he taught the younger campers some of those nature songs that every kid should know ("Great big gobs of greasy, grimey gopher guts ... ")

Dixon Lake, Escondido, CA. Get away from the big city in only a short drive. Can opt for a lake-side site (pretend Escondido isn't there) or a city-side view (look down on city lights, but far enough away to evade city noise). (Simon adds ... but no showers!)

Agua Caliente County Park, CA. Sites are squished together, but it's located in the middle of the Anza Borrego desert which is an amazing place. And there's lots of hiking around the park. If you can do without hookups, you might prefer Vallecito County Park which is a few miles up the road. Amateur astronomers tend to flock to Vallecito.

Burnt Rancheria, Cleveland National Forest. Located along the Sunrise Highway; nearest town is Mount Laguna. Wanna' look 7000 ft. downward from piney-mountain to desert floor? Except, they closed for remodeling at the end of last summer. And when we drove up there to check them out in early April, they didnt' look "open" yet. But, the reservations website shows them as available. *shrug*

Potrero County Park, CA. Sites aren't crammed close, though there's not a lot of visual privacy. Its big advantages are the large surrounding area (it's the community park for most of the east-county area of San Diego), and its proximity to Tecate, Mexico. If you think Tijuana is a big tourist trap, you're right. Tecate is still (for at least a little while) a real Mexican town. And, you can park just north of the border and walk a half-mile to the plaza in Tecate (to avoid the need for Mexican car insurance ... do *not* drive into Mexico without *Mexican* car insurance!!!).

B(&S) '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' SoCal