Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 May 2005 21:50:26 EDT
From:         James Benthall <Taobythesea@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Oil Pressure Light went On...Abort Trip?

Hello fellow Vanagonauts, Sorry to bother ya'll with another problem, but this one is serious. We were all packed and heading to Minnesota (moving my wife...long story) when we got 25 miles out of Houston and my freakin oil pressure light starts flashing! [This is very upsetting to me since I constantly have to listen to non-Vanagonauts question my sanity for putting so much money in "such an old car"]. Anyway, I pull over immediately to the side of highway and turn off engine..step out of van and go check the oil. Oil seems fine. Plenty of it. Ok, what to do? Since we were getting such a late start anyway, and it is already hot as a hades here in Texas, I decide to turn around and head back home. Made it all the 25 miles back home without another incident. Checked oil upon my return. All is a-ok. Background: I had this VERY THING happen about 6 months ago. Oil light would flash and scare the bejabbers out of me. Pull over and check. All is a-ok. Took to my mechanic and he checked. All seems fine, so we put in new oil pressure switch to be safe. Been all this time and no problems. Questions: How do you check to see if oil pump is going out? Would the van had made it back the 25 miles if the oil pump was out or going out? I had the oil changed last week, and someone said on another thread that lightweight oil could be the problem, does this seem likely? We use 10w30 down here since it is so hot. If the oil or oil filter is the problem can I continue to drive it and ignore the warning?

I appreciate anyones input on this problem. I really need to get on the road ASAP, and I REALLY hate the thought of having to rent a car. Thanks all.

James in Houston 87 Westy (The Phoenix)

ps I almost forgot...I have a "hybrid" type van with the wiring harness of an 84 (I know, terrible situation but it has been running fine for almost a year now). Do ya'll think it could be a wiring mix up or something? And if so, would it hurt it to go ahead and drive it?