Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 May 2005 20:24:46 -0400
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Trip Mileage Report Audi 2.0 litre conversion

Just came home from a 1000km work trip. This on my 90 auto westy with PS and AC. 27mpg (22.5mpg US) on the way there driving 90 to 100km/h (55 to 60mph). 24mpg (20mpg US) driving 100 to 110 km/h (60 to 70mph) with a few spurts to 140km/h on the way back. An error in my odometer of 3.7% was determined by GPS (speedometer is now alost dead accurate) due to 27.5" rubber. Oil temps never exceeded 105C with the stock VW coolant/oil cooler. Terrain was curvy/hilly, regular gas used. The engine was reduced in compression from 10.5 to around 9.7:1 but premium may have helped a little with mileage. This info certainly reinforces the importance of driving "light footed" with the vanagon if mileage is a concern.

Driving short (5 to 10km) city driving cycles in 0 Celcius type weather netted a whopping 16mpg. This figure, with the added O2 sensor voltage monitoring (0 to .7 volts oscillation at warm cruise) tells me that I can probably tweak the mileage a bit more by adjusting the digifant AFM spring tension (the CO adjustment is already at full lean). Disconnected, the O2 sensor still reads .65 volts at hot idle. Once the engine is hot, the O2 sensor and ECU seem to be leaning things out appropriately. Any thoughts on this?

This was my first trip on the conversion without a heavy load and/or towing a trailer. Passing is definitely a lot less of a risk. At 100 km/h (and a modified governor) the engine downshifts to 2nd and hits 6000 rpm before shifting to third. With 140hp, it accelerates the van to 120 km/h fairly quickly (that was close to top speed with the 2.1wbx). Our roads here are all pretty much single lane with fairly short passing zones so passing with the WBX was always kind of scary.

Given that VW had all the parts on hand, it's really too bad they didn't drop the I4 in from 83 on.