Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 May 2005 22:23:16 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: The propane filling question tested...

Nice report Jim. I am wondering if you could get more liquid into the Westy tank by opening the 80% valve. Seems like the escaping gas would make more room for liquid propane to enter, but it would also cause the liquid Propane already in the tank to start vaporizing.

I was leaning toward the extend-a-stay, but it connects to the vapor only side of the Westy tank. I would really like to be able to pass liquid Propane from the Westy tank to the 1# bottle. And vice-verse.

What is the approximate pounds per gallon on propane?

Edward

At 06:04 PM 5/21/2005, you wrote: >I purchased a hand POL to hand POL with 350psi rated hose. > >Project was to fill my 5 pounder from my 30 pounder. >///first phase of testing/// >Both tanks set outside in shaded area of about 76 degrees. > >Tested at same temp > >Connected hose >Opened 5 pound valve >Opened 30 pound valve >For about 1 minute I could detect flow. >Opened overfill port on 5 pounder. >With hand on side of tank I could feel an approximate level but no further >flow to the tank was detected. > >Closed valves and purged hose and disconnected and weighed the 5 pounder >It had gained 2 pounds. Less than a half fill. >////second phase of testing//// >Set up for test two >Took several cooled 1 pounders and my adapter and bleed most of the propane >out of the 5 pound into the disposables. And weighed tank to confirm the >TARE weight plus .5 pound > >Test two >Cooled 5 pound thoroughly in fridge and then set in some ice water. >Reconnected everything and began fill again. Fill sounds were much louder >and ran a bit over one minute. Disconnected and weighed. Weighed in at 15 >pounds or TARE plus 4.5 pounds for a full tank. > >///// >The results of this as they would pertain to the westy tank are. > >You could use such a hose to connect a BBQ style tank to your westy tank and >then open both valves on vapor-upright and not tipped for liquid. This >would send pressurized vapor into the westy tank which could then go through >the regulator into your van's gas system. This is the same principal as the >extend-a-stay used for other RV. The tank doesnąt get used to fill the RV >system only supplement it. > >It would not be feasible to use it as a filler as I estimate only about 2 >lbs are going to get into the system. However 2 lbs can be a day or day and >a half. > >jimt