Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2005 13:24:10 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Joy Hecht's problem's solved?
Comments: To: Aaron Pearson <Aaron.Pearson@GXT.COM>

Immediate shut down will prevent the engine temp for reaching warping temp for the heads or release points for valve seats. Short quick runs on a cold engine should have minimal effect.

However a hot engine that has been running up to temp and then looses its coolant only has a minute or two before it reaches those temps on the heads. It will probably take slightly longer for the pistons and then the bearings to hit destructive temps. As for your temp gauge/light senders. They are useless if there is no coolant in the system. you would need a head temp sensor and gauge like used on many aircooled to track head temps which is a critical temperature.

Jimt