Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2005 20:26:10 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fire extinguisher
Comments: To: jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

Interesting thought on fire extinguishers but it's also not a bad idea to keep a Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm in your van. I managed to set of my Carbon Monoxide detector more than once trying to stay warm in winter by warming up the coffee pot with the windows closed. I guess it would tell the Air Cooled guys if their heater boxes are leaking into the system.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "jimt" <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 7:57 PM Subject: Re: Fire extinguisher

That little extinguisher in the westy is to meet the requirements in the RV/mobile home code in most countries of europe and the US for a kitchen, not an engine fire.

Gave one of those little ones I had left in a parts bin away to a bug guy this weekend. I donšt use them.

My extinguisher is a 10 pound dry chem mounted on the pillar inside the sliding door.

The smallest you should carry is a 5 pound or two of the smaller two and a half pounders. A single is not enough.

A 2 1/2-pound extinguisher empties in under 10 seconds; a 5-pound extinguisher in 15 to 20 seconds; and a 10-pound extinguisher in about 30 seconds

Here is a good link on extinguishers

http://www.kidde-fire.com/kff%20extinguisher%20brochure.rsf

Most of the extinguishers on the market today seem to be theirs. jimt On 5/23/05 5:44 PM, "Jeffrey Vickers" <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM> wrote:

> Stan's post has me thinking about fire extinguishers. I have the little > litre-or-so sized one (no gauge) by the sliding door opening and I've > never had to use it but I've always thought it was kind of weeny to put > out a real engine fire, so two questions: > > --what size extiguishers do people have? and.. > > --is there a size/brand that can be refilled? Seems like a ridiculous > waste to be tossing a bottle every time the thing leaks enough air... > > > Jeff / 87 Westy Syncro > > > On May 23, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Automatic digest processor wrote: > >

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.322 / Virus Database: 266.11.15 - Release Date: 5/22/2005