Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 May 2005 13:22:09 -0400
From:         Robert Harris <rdh24@CORNELL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: replacing engine mounts

Another cheapskate method for supporting or dropping the motor. You can take a nice strong 4"x4" board and place it across the open engine hatch pointing front-to-back with the end hanging out the open hatch. You start with the 4x4 raised up on a stacks of ca 1" spacer boards at each edge of the engine hatch. Chain the 4x4 to the engine lifting points good and tight. Then when the engine mount is unbolted you can let the motor down one step at a time by levering up a bit on the 4x4 and sliding out one or two at a time of the spacer boards it's propped up on. Then can replace both mounts in one fell swoop. Would need to stop partway and lengthen the chain if you were wanting to drop the motor all the way out. Robert H Ithaca NY 84 Westy - 92 EJ22

At 08:19 AM 5/22/2005 -0700, you wrote: >Hello, > >I've never done this before. Can I just use a floor jack to support the >engine while I replace the mounts one-by-one? I'd also like to use new >bolts and nuts while I'm at it, but can't find specs in the Bentley. >Does anyone have this information? I'm hoping NAPA or Autozone will have >them. Any advice appreciated! Will post procedure and pictures after I >finish the job. > >Thanks, >Matt