Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 May 2005 16:38:46 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fridge....should it stay on...
Comments: To: Dusty Edwards <dusty.edwards@MAC.COM>

The refrigerator is one of the most laughable things about a Westy. I always primed my fridge with a bucket of ice inside, a little computer CPU fan moving the air and plugged into 120 v overnight before each road trip. Without these Preps the fridge just never functioned in the 150 to 300 mile trips I took. I never ran the fridge on 12v but always kept it on LP operation while camping without electricity. If I had electric in a camp ground I'd switch it to 120v and use electric that I was buying already. On the best days it produced two of the munchkin trays of ice by sundown if I hadn't had the door opened once than twice that day. Each time the door was opened all the cold dropped out and the cool down cycle needed to start all over again. The Westy fridge is a good way to keep flies off your hot dogs and keep stuff in a dark place but I'd never trust it to preserve food for more than 48 hours unless it was in a can, box or didn't even need refrigeration. If however the fridge was laid on it's back and the cold didn't drop out with each entry then you might have a useable appliance there. The best refrigeration I ever found in ten years of Westy camping was the styrofoam containers that you get Steaks in from Omaha Steaks or the same containers from HoneyCured Hams. They are about 2" sidewalls with tops and bottoms just as thick, they are the right size to fit under the rear seat. They hold three 10 pound bags of ice if the ice is broken loose in the bags and not solidified in the bag from the vendor.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dusty Edwards" <dusty.edwards@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 3:39 PM Subject: Re: Fridge....should it stay on...