Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 May 2005 20:11:38 -0700
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fridge....should it stay on...

Stan wrote: >> The refrigerator is one of the most laughable things about a Westy. The Westy fridge is a good way to keep flies off your hot dogs and keep stuff in a dark place but I'd never trust it to preserve food for more than 48 hours unless it was in a can, box or didn't even need refrigeration.

I am continually perplexed by how underappreciated the stock Westy fridge often is, and by the number of Westy owners I meet in campgrounds, etc. who say they never use theirs, and who prefer a good old fashioned ice chest instead. So they store peanut butter and music CDs in their unused fridge, and happily sacrifice another 3 or 4 cubic feet of precious cabin space in order to accommodate a bulky and outdated plastic cooler.

A conventional camping cooler may seem larger upon first glance, but the most common size is 48 quarts—the same capacity as the Westy fridge. And much of that space is consumed by at least several pounds of ice, which is crucial to its operation and which must be frequently replenished while on the road. Stick a warm six pack in an icechest, and your ice will melt that much faster as BTUs are exchanged; stick the same sixer in the Westy fridge and, although it may take a while, it will soon be appreciably chilled with no discernible increased use of fuel. Sheesh, iceboxes are early 19th-century innovations, and don't offer nearly the flexibility of the efficient and multi-powered Westy fridge. Besides getting underfoot, a heavy cooler full of icy water and cans of soda can be a noisy passenger too.

By contrast, the Westy fridge is tucked out of the way, is perpetually cold, and largely maintenance-free. Offering 1.5 cubic feet (45 liters) of refrigerated space, the stock Westy fridge will run on LP and 12VDC cleanly, safely, and economically for perhaps 30 days and nights before requiring a five-dollar refill. I can count on one hand the number of times we've bothered to hook it up to a 120VAC campsite power supply, so although a handy option, that is hardly required. Though small, it holds all of our necessary refrigerated items for a multi-week trip, assuming periodic restocking. And unlike the familiar camping cooler, you won't find your wieners and cheese swimming in tepid water before lunchtime.

If your fridge isn't working right, check out the helpful info on the Vanagon.com site, or Frank Condelli's site: http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/fridge.htm Of course, it's entirely possible a PO ruined the unit by running it off-level, so it may be a lost cause.

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" http://www.vanthology.com/