Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 2005 08:59:35 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rkoerner@CRYOCOR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unused Fridge and weight (long)

Good comments... I have an '85 GL with homemade camper conversion, so of course no built-in frig or stove. Always wondered about the utility of the built-in appliances versus their bulk, cost, operational problems, etc. versus the simplicity of cheap-yet-rugged cooler (with fresh ice cubes always available) and a portable Coleman stove (mostly cook outdoors, but can use inside in a pinch).

I had a 45-year old metal "ice-chest" with lots of sentimental value, but also cracks in the plastic liner and thin insulation. Just replaced it with the Coleman "WideBody" 50-quart plastic model (on sale at Sports Authority for $17.99 with an extra jug and mini-cooler); the "wide-body" is the key, as it's length is reduced, and its width and height increased, so it fits perfectly on the floor behind the front passenger seat; with a small foam pad or a folded-towel, makes the perfect extra seat or ottoman. Most of the other coolers were too big: would extend out into the "walkway" area between the front seats.

Rich '85 Homemade-Westy, "Betsy"