Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 2005 14:10:12 -0700
From:         Matt Barclay <mbarclay@OPENFBO.COM>
Subject:      installing a new Hitachi starter
Comments: To: rob campbell <rob@quimp.com>

Hi Rob,

It took me two hours to get the new starter installed. Pretty much a straight swap. The wire from the alternator just barely reaches to the post on the hitachi starter, and the thick wire from the battery is very difficult to bend and reroute to that post.

After you get your old starter out, push the new one up into position, but first connect all of the wires. Then bolt it into place. That's probably the hardest part of the job.

I used jack stands, but I didn't lift the wheels into the air. Just raised the van high enough to give me some working space. I hate the feeling of having a van in the air over my head when I'm pulling with all my might on a rusty bolt! I would have used ramps, but my starter was dead and I didn't feel up to a push start.

I'll write up my procedure as soon as I have time:

http://wiki.vanagabond.com/bin/view/Vanagon/ReplacingStarterHowTo

Cheers, Matt