Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 2005 17:00:06 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Smoking @ Gas Stations (was Re: Fridge....) NVC

I spent the last two nights cleaning the exhaust system in a restaurant/bar that probably hasn't been cleaned in twenty years. I backed my rig into a courtyard near the kitchen door and as I got out I saw their water heater in an enclosure with no door on it. As I passed it, maybe five feet away, I could smell gas quite clearly. I said something about it to the owner and he said it had been that way for awhile, they didn't know where the leak was coming from, etc. Basically they were just ignoring it. Go figger.

Now I don't recall off hand the BTU capability of my burner, but it'll heat 4.5 gallons per minute of water to a constant 180F no problem. Basically it's a three-foot column of flame contained in a chimney. We weren't able to set up anywhere else due to potential noise problems and I told the guy I wasn't firing up 10 feet from a gas leak. He started telling me that they run their outdoor propane heaters next to it all the time and they've never had a problem, blah blah blah. I told him no go- he had to fix the leak. I told him if he called the gas company they would come out directly (as this was a business) and they would do something about it, but he refused- made me wonder if he was stealing the gas. His solution was to turn the gas off at the valve and fix the door on the closet. We determined that the gas was no longer present and went on with the job.

This guy was clearly contemptuous of me for worrying about it and acted like he thought I was some kind of p***y the whole time we were dealing with him. Some people are so stupid it's frightening. Maybe they'd been lucky so far but as far as I'm concerned those are famous last words.

Just to make it a little more interesting, last night some doofus that works there made himself a little 'hot air balloon' out of candles, some circular frame he rigged up and a white trash bag. I'm working up on the roof and look up and see this thing floating by. Being that the bag was white it was lit up like a lantern mantle. It floated up quite a ways and quite a distance... I was telling my helper that if the guy got caught he'd just bought himself an arson charge (considering it had to land somewhere), when we saw that it had floated well over the Navy base and went down there. Mind you this is the desert and there's dry crap all over the place just waiting to spark up. So I starting saying 'make that a Federal arson charge, etc'. Guy was risking maybe 25 years of federal time and maybe some other people's lives and property over a stupid prank. Unbelievable.

Like I said, some people are so stupid it's frightening

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Demarest" <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 1:14 PM Subject: Re: Smoking @ Gas Stations (was Re: Fridge....) NVC