Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 2005 19:03:21 -0700
From:         stephen steele <steeles159@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Traveling lighter... a goal... Kayak carriers?

In changing over to our new-to-us '89 Westy, I took the time to assess each and every piece of camping gear that we had accumulated throughout the last several years of van camping. If we had not used the item in the past year, it was left in the plastic bins in the garage. Obviously, tools, spare belts and emergency parts were put back in their place, ready for side of the road repairs. Particularly telling was my tendancy to put lots of little items (ten feet of light braided line, pipe cleaners, rubberbands, an extra cork screw, a space blanket, that out-of-butane long stick lighter that 'still works for the stove', etc) in the various nooks and cranies..."Be prepared". An outhouse reader that I never cracked open in five years now graces the garage bookshelf. Seven extra bungies await my next pickup load tie-down adventure. That old EB Goretex parka that has been a fixture on my last two Westies' closet floor is now ready for duty at our creekside cabin. I have tried very hard to eliminate as much of this kind of clutter in our new Westy.

However, I have to agree with the posts about carrying bikes and their usefulness. For long distance camping trips the transportation and exercise they afford makes them, for us, a practical addition to the must-haves. A fold down rack would be an advantage over lifting the rear hatch with bikes attached.

Finally a question about kayaks, as we are heading to the North Country and a circumnavigation of Lake Superior (Jeff Earl...where's your travel blog?). A fellow Listee and I will be traveling with wives and young sons(one each). And we are discussing how many bikes and kayaks we should bring along. The bikes are easy enough to carry. The kayaks aren't. Neither of us have mounts for the boats and aren't particularly interested in drilling our pop tops for racks. While I already have Yakima high towers that will fit over the pop top, I don't relish having to remove the boats and the rear cross bar at every camping stop. Alternatives?

Another question is has anybody used a reliable foam and strap method of carrying smaller (Perception Swifties) on their camper top?

Your experiences and thoughts are appreciated. TIA Stephen Chillicothe Ohio

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html