Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2005 11:40:14 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pressure Bleeding the Clutch slave/master
Comments: To: Oxroad@aol.com

In a message dated 5/23/05 3:07:41 AM, Oxroad@AOL.COM writes:

<< The mini-vac in a suction pump for self brake bleeding and the like which is pumped by hand. Or does the system need to be pressure bled with a pressure type pump attacted to the master cylinder reservoir? >>

I've never had a Mini-Vac, but I've used vacuum sources to bleed automotive hydraulics; I prefer pressure bleeding. Vacuum bleeding might work well if the bleeders are the O-ring type. In my experience, a standard bleeder under vacuum will suck air through its threads and so it is hard to tell at what point all the air has been removed from the line.

A pressure bleeder can be hacked together in so many different ways that it merits no description. Any reservoir which can safety contain air at as little as 10 psi will do and any source of compressed air (even a bicycle pump) will work. A vacuum bleeder is similar and a running engine is a ready source of 15-20 psi of negative pressure with which to charge an air tank.

On procedure which I have not seen mentioned in these discussions is bench bleeding the master cylinder. Bench bleeding the master cylinder can make a big difference in how easily the system is purged of air, especially with a two circuit master brake cylinder.

George