Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 May 2005 11:35:15 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Did I buy the Right Vehicle? Am I hearing all the bad.
Comments: To: Robert Rountree <syncro87@hotmail.com>

RE: Good trip experience From 1995 through 2002, every year, I did a trip from Seattle to So Cal (up into the mountains) and back in my Westy (First an '85, then a '90 in 2002). With extended side trips going and coming in several years, these trips ran form 3,100 to 4,100 miles at a time, over a two to four week period. I NEVER needed a tow and NEVER had to find a repair shop. (Did add an extra hose clamp on a cooling line going to the radiator once on the '85.) And I was dealing with an overheating problem in the '85 most of that time (turned out to be a bad radiator). Although I don't recommend it, I can say that at least the 1.9L engine is much more tolerant to overheating than you might expect, a lot of white knuckle time going over mountain passes. This also includes several years with the wrong tires because I didn't know any better. Ask about 'max stupidity' sometime.... If the vehicle has been maintained right, by a mechanic that knows what he is doing and knows the Vanagon, then you can expect your Vanagon to be as reliable (maybe more so) as any other 15 to 20 year old vehicle. The weak spots (like any other vehicle, talk to a pro mechanic) are known and understood and a wealth of information is available here and on other Vanagon/Westfalia related internet lists. And also talk to any RV owner that is running a 20 year old Class B or Class C RV. My barber and I compare notes and I think she has spent about $10,000 in the last three years on her rig. Enough said. Have it checked out, get in and drive. Don't push the equipment beyond normal use (the Red Line is there for a reason), take you time, enjoy the trip as much as the destination. If the destination were the only thing, we'd all fly.....