Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 2005 13:51:37 -0700
Subject:      Hi-Power TDI Vanagon observations

After putting over 5000km on the beta version of our TDI software with our custom injectors I can report that I am very happy. There were are few teething problems getting the setup working the way I wanted, but now that everything is tweaked, we are quite happy with the results.

THE VEHICLE: 1989 Syncro TriStar ENGINE: 1998 Jetta TDI, engine code AHU, stock power is 90hp and 149ft.lbs of torque. ENGINE MODS: EGR removed to help stop manifold constipation. Larger custom injectors and custom ECU software designed with the heavier Vanagon in mind. ENGINE POWER: around 135 to 140hp and around 240 to 250ft.lbs of torque. TRANSMISSION: 3rd gear is 1.17, 4th gear is 0.77, stock 4.86:1 final drive TIRES: Continental Sportiva AT 225/75R16 (29.2" tall) RPM at 100km/h: 2700

Our project design goals is to have a Vanagon that anyone could drive without having to be a geek when it comes to monitoring temperatures. When we first installed our first revision of our custom software and custom injectors, the engine went from very nice to increditable. We now have the ability to pull almost any hill in 4th gear and maintain the speed limit. On some really long 8% BC grades you do drop a few km/h but you are still passing all transport trucks. Do it in 3rd gear and you are literally laughing! The problem was, more fuel means more heat and we were getting oil temps in the 140C region (desirable is 100 to 110C) and Exhaust Temps in the 850C range at the end of tough hills. Sustained 850C for pre turbine temps is the SAE limit for the turbo, so needless to say I didn't like this. Also 150C is starting to getting too hot for the API CI-4 Plus oil that I am running so something had to be done about this. The installation of an air cooled oil cooler brought the constant oil temps down to the 105 to 110C range with max peak temps during hard climbs in the low 120C region. 100km/h EGTs remained the same with the temps in the 450 to 600C range depending on terrain and winds with maximum temperatures going no higher than 740C on long climbs - mostly thanks to cooler oil! The other half of the reason for cooler EGTs and operating temperature our injectors and custom software. Nozzles are larger to get more fuel injected in the same amount of time it takes with regular injectors, thus keeping timing optimum and EGTs lower. The software also "skews" the power to make it heavy Vanagon friendly and Golf friendly. Lot torque on the bottom end and a gradual falling of power toward redline. Just like the VR6 Eurovan has less horsepower than a Corrado, we've made the software optimized for a vehicle with 2x the weight and 1/2 the aerodynamics as the Golf. Comparing notes to a Jetta III owner here in town, my TriStar is running cooler than his chipped engine with European injectors! On my recent trip back from Vancouver I was hauling a trailer with 50 16" wheels and the combined weight of the TriStar and trailer with wheels was 3200kg (7000+ lbs) and I still did the Fraser Canyon in 4th gear - all be it a little slower at the top of the hills, but I never took it out of 4th other than stopping for road construction and slowing down for 50km/h zones. MAXIMUM temps for the Fraser Canyon: Oil 124C (average ~110C), water 94C (average ~89C), EGT 753C (average 500C), Speed 110km/h with 80km/h at the top of three of the largest hills - all in 4th! Fuel consumption 10.1L/100km or 23.2 US MPG / 28 Imp MPG. Normal fuel consumption for 2100kg and 110km/h (70MPH) driving is 9.6L/100km or 24.5 US MPG / 29.5 Imp MPG and for constant 100km/h (65MPH) driving 9.2L / 100km or 25.5 US MPG / 31 Imp MPG. Cost loaded per 100km for fuel: $8.30, cost empty for fuel $7.45. When there was the lass powerful 112hp wasserboxer (14L per 100km of Premium) in my TriStar my cost per 100 km would be about $14.50 - so almost 2x as far per dollar now! :-)

The next test for the TriStar is our Yanks Peak reconnaissance trip in a couple of weeks, with slow speed, hard pulling at times and high altitude loaded with camping gear. Should be interesting!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

Internet: www.fastforward.ca Email: sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Engine Conversions and Accessories - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - Electrical harness fabrication and customization

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.