Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 2005 21:28:58 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Maps, and Maps (and NVC)

So for no good reason I sorta just spent the last 30 minutes in a virtual vacation in space...

While this is old news to some (including me), none the less it was sort of interesting. maps.google.com has a feature where you can see a satellite view of the area you are looking (same scale as the map view you are looking at). Now some area in the rural districts don't have the full zoom that you get in the cities (and some places are curiously fuzzed out).

None the less, it's sorta cool to look down on many places I've traveled (or hope to travel to).

Items of note:

Quesnel, BC (only cause David Marshall is up that way). I was intrigued by all the little square lots all over the place in that section of BC. Homesteading, or lumbering I don't know which.

Banff. Gotta go there in real life.

Actually Canada in general is a fascinating place to view from maps.google. Lots of color. Very cool geographical features.

James Bay Hydroelectric project.

Reservoir Manicougan

I virtually visited Mount Desert Island Maine (Acadia National Park).

Wandered over to Nantucket (with ferry in the harbor)

Meandered down the coast, jumped over the Florida Straight to Cuba, and scouted out Guantanamo Bay (which doesn't have much zoom capability)

Went to visit (virtually) my dad in Tampa.

The Battleship Alabama (in Mobile bay). They filmed the movie Under Seige on that ship.