Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:39:50 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot Awning

There's only so much that any awning can survive- past a certain point no amount of quality or strength or whatever is going to help. I took my folk's 32' motorhome to Lollapalooza at Irvine Meadows one year (had a whole bunch of miscreants with us, so we needed the room). We had the thing set up normally, no problems when the wind began to kick up in the late afternoon. Wasn't blowing all that hard, didn't seem like much to worry about when this freak gust came along and caught the awning like a sail. I felt like my nads had dropped into my boots while I watched this motorhome roll up to an impressive angle on the driver's side wheels. The guy parked on that side thought that he, his girlfriend, his car and his grill were all dead. The gust died off, the motorhome came crashing down and that awning was permanently trashed- about two grand worth of hardware. This was thick, heavy aluminum braces, poles and the whole bit. We had to hammer it back together and closed so we could move the beast. Sometimes you just can't account for what Mother Nature decided to do to you.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "rob campbell" <rob@QUIMP.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:59 AM Subject: Re: Bus Depot Awning