Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:13:19 -0600
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: synthetic oil weaken older engine?

On 6/2/05 2:22 PM, "Art McGinn" <ajmcginn@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> is it true -- or has this already been covered? -- that switching to > synthetic oil for an older engine can or will lower compression or > weaken an elderly mill by cleaning-out carbon buildup or other crud that > had found a comfortable home with dino oil? even as it's a great idea > for a new or newer engine? art '82 westy > > This is one that has been proven to be mostly myth.

Yes it will clean out an engine better depending on the quality of oil previously used. There are recommendations to change out the first oil filter 30 days after changing to synth.

No it does not destroy compression.

Yes you can get a drip or two you didnšt have before. But the leak was usually already there and you just didnšt notice it before.

Noted that you are an 82. If you still have the air cooled mill I personally recommend that you stay with a high grade dino single weight in summer (40 or 50 weight) if in the hotter climes or in heavy hills where you cook your oil. Cheaper to change as you should be changing it much more often. I used valvoline race 40 or 50 in the summer and a synth in the winter on all of my aircooled engines over the years.

With an aircooled I would use synth or synth blend in cooler more temperate climes or in the winter, or with the waterboxer all the time.

And I am off to the oil store. All this talk of oil has reminded me it is now june and oil change months for me are beginning may and beginning november. OOOPS!

I use castrol synth blend and change filter every 3 months usually.

jimt